Saint Joseph’s University is committed to its Jesuit mission through the vigorous pursuit of truth, driven by innovative pedagogy and supported by accomplished research and scholarship. We prepare our students to meet the challenges of the twenty-first century through a variety of learning environments in order to prepare them for the life-long practice of engaged citizenship in service to the common good.
The Office of the Provost oversees Academic Affairs, including Faculty and Academic Support, Assessment and Strategic Planning and Student Life, each area supported by an Associate Provost. From matriculation to graduation, the Provost’s staff works to enhance every aspect of a student’s experience at Saint Joseph’s University.
Brice R. Wachterhauser, PhD, is currently the Interim University Provost returning to the position previously held for over ten years. Dr. Wachterhauser came to Saint Joseph’s in 1982 as an assistant professor and advanced to the rank of professor in 1998. He also served as director of the Honors Program and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences before becoming Provost in 2004.
Wachterhauser earned his PhD in Philosophy from Northwestern University. He is also a graduate of the University of New Hampshire and also attended the University of Cologne, Germany and pursued post-doctoral studies at the University of Heidelberg, Germany.
Dr. Wachterhauser’s area of specialization is Contemporary Continental Philosophy, especially Hermeneutics, with areas of competence in 19th Century Continental Philosophy and Ancient Philosophy. His previous teaching experience includes Haverford College, Augustana College and Northwestern University. He is the recipient of numerous academic honors and grants.
Office of the Provost
- Brice Wachterhauser, PhD, Interim Provost
- Peter C. Norberg, PhD, Senior Associate Provost for Faculty Development and Academic
- Janée Burkhalter, PhD, Associate Provost for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Cary Anderson, EdD, Vice President for Student Life and Associate Provost
- Melissa McClory, Director for Faculty Affairs
- Jill Dougherty Cleary, Assistant Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness
- Beth Moran, Assistant to the Provost, Office of the Provost